Thursday, February 4, 2016

Goal setting, poetry writing, and finding my muse.

Years ago, I wrote poetry.  A LOT of poetry.  At one point I found a website called Shadow Poetry, and it's companion Rhyme Zone.  I have been writing poetry since age 8, and recently came across an old notebook (circa 2004) with my attempts to complete a poem of every type listed on the website.  I got quite a lot done back then!  My life was a blur of children, school related activities, endless carpooling, nap schedules, and my as-yet-undiagnosed mood swinging bi-polar symptoms.  Lots of depression. But lots of hypo-mania, too, as evidenced by my work. Apparently I used it to fuel my creative ability, because the poems I wrote back then are pretty damn good, if I do say so myself.  

Recently I've had to deal with a lot of depression due to a physical injury preventing me from taking my brain meds properly.  I am, literally, feeling pretty crazy, and have been looking for a place to channel it.  Look, right or wrong, easy or no, this is me.  Mental illness is NOT the same as diabetes.  It won't kill me unless I let it.  I need to know I can survive without the meds if I have to, and right now I have to.  So, I decided to set some goals, one of which is to pick up where I left off and start writing again.  I'm going to complete that list here on my blog.  My next post will contain some of the poems I've already completed.

Oh, and my muse?  Yeah, still looking for one.

No comments:

Post a Comment